Downhill Xtreme is one of the few longboard racing games on iOS and it comes from developers Distinctive Developments. In Downhill Extreme, you will begin by creating a racer that you will take from being a virtual unknown to becoming a PRO known throughout the world. Building up you character is a completely customizable affair. You’ll be able to choose the look of your character from the gender, features, and clothing. Once that’s out of the way, you’ll be visiting some highly exotic and beautiful locals against some of the world’s greatests.
Gameplay is very easy to pick up in Downhill Xtreme. Controlling your racer consists of tilting your device left or right to turn your racer while holding down the left or right part of the screen allows you to brake or tuck your racer for faster speeds. Controls are pretty responsive and depending on how you tilt your device, you can control how hard your character turns. You can even drift your longboard, although it takes a bit of practice before getting it right otherwise you’ll face plant in the dirt.
As far as presentation goes, the graphics are pretty good with detailed environments on all the tracks which move by quite smoothly. Character designs are a bit blocky and remind me of old school Tony Hawk Pro Skater style character designs. Distinctive Developments did a great job here with the music in Downhill Xtreme as it is very upbeat and really fits the game well. There is a ton to customize here from your racer to your board and wheels. You can even hire coaches to help you improve your skills.
I’m not really much of a longboard racing fan as it’s not something I do in my spare time, though I do know people who do it. Even though I don’t longboard, I do enjoy a good racing game and Downhill Xtreme certainly does provide a challenge in that regard. You need to be so precise in this game to come out on top, but then again, I’m sure it’s just imitating real life as any mistakes made in the real world would cost you the win and earn yourself a nice broken bone. Downhill Xtreme is free, so it won’t hurt to try this fun racing game out, even if you’re not a fan of longboarding.
Downhill Xtreme is available now in the App Store for Free. It is compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad.Requires iOS 4.0 or later.
Tear past the competition on a fierce ride to the finish line in the World’s first longboard racing game, Downhill Xtreme!
From the creatives behind the Hockey Nations series and Football Kicks, Downhill Xtreme launches you through a whirlwind of exotic locations and sets you against all challengers and the clock in an adrenaline fueled race to the bottom. Speeding through tracks of volatile twists and turns, progress from amateur racer to professional longboarder by conquering new destinations and tougher races, collecting money and prizes along the way.
Compete for international leaderboard dominance in Medal Events while going rogue in limited-time Online Events and winner-take-all, renegade style Outlaw Events. From heart-stopping hillsides to scenic slopes, Downhill Xtreme will take you on an electrifying racing experience unlike any other!
– Features –
DOMINATE YOUR RIVALS IN THE WORLD’S COOLEST LOCALES
- Enjoy lush 3D graphics and precise gyroscopic controls.
- Go PRO and join the big players from around the World.
- Pick your rivals and go head-to-head for the ultimate bragging rights.
- Improve your skills and overall fitness with the selection of top coaches to rack up some extra XP and $$.
SKATE IN STYLE AS YOU CRUSH THE COMPETITION
- Killer soundtrack featuring brand new, previously unreleased tracks as well as your favorite tunes from the coolest indie artists, including We Outspoken, Kidd Russell and The Clench.
- Custom collection of boards from basic models to high performance, designer boards, including the Urban Rodeo Signature Series that features exclusive board art from Downhill Xtreme’s favorite artists. Reign over your fellow racers with the untamed SPARTAN board.
- A wide selection of wheels for improved acceleration and drift. Wheels wear out, so keep an eye on their condition to keep on top of your game.
- Choose from the latest hairstyles, gear and accessories to take over the leaderboard with style.
[via App Store]