This is a review I did for the Astro Gaming A30 Cross-Gaming Headset that originally appears on G Style Magazine on 03.16.10. I’d like to make note that Astro Gaming did provide me with a full media package for this which included the Astro A30 Headset as well as their MixAmp and Scout backpack. This however does not influence my review of the headsets. Again, for the entire review with images, please visit the original post up at G Style Magazine.
As a gamer, every little advantage you can get, you’ll take it. In the past, it didn’t really matter what kind of headset you were using or what kind of audio system you were using with you gaming system because games in the just weren’t as audio-immersive as games are now in the present. You used to be able to get away with just experiencing your games in stereo, but no more. In an age when everything is about being immersive, stereo output is no longer an option. In-game audio these days are usually all coded in 5.1 Surround Sound and now with online gaming being even more popular then ever before, if you aren’t using a headset that has at least 5.1 Surround Sound, you will find yourself at a serious disadvantage. Up until a few weeks ago, I was using a pair budget headsets that only outputted in stereo and thought they were “good enough.” I won’t mention what they are in this review but when I had first bought them, I thought they made my gaming experience much better as I could finally hear things that I could never hear before through my television speakers. Well, that was then and this is now. About 2 weeks ago, I received what is now my go to headset for everything, not just gaming.
Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve had a chance to try out Astro Gaming’s newest “budget” headset, the new Astro A30 Cross-Gaming Headset. When I say budget, I mean that in the loosest of terms because these really don’t seem like budget headsets. At MSRP $149.95, the quality of the build is top notch and materials used are do not seem cheap at all. On top of that, these are some of the lightest and most comfortable headsets I have ever used.
SPECS & FEATURES:
- Balanced, Dynamic Audio Quality – Tuned for a variety of usages including gaming, music and movies, with crystal-clear voice communication and precise surround-sound performance.
- Dual Mic System – Removable boom mic for console and PC gaming and Skyping, wired inline mic for taking calls on-the-go.
- Incredibly Stylish and Comfortable – Lightweight, on-ear design fashioned to move easily from the office to the living room to the street.
- Quick Disconnect System – Ships with 3 swappable cables for mobile, console or PC setups. Mobile cable features a control button to answer or end calls and also works with iTunes to start, stop, jump forward and jump back.
- Interchangeable Speaker Tags – Choose from a variety of collaborative tags or create your own with the online ASTRO customizer (sold separately).
- Carrying Case – Every ASTRO headset purchase comes with a complimentary, high-quality ballistic nylon travel case to protect your investment.
- Optional Upgrade – The A30 headset works great by itself on PC and mobile devices, but needs to be teamed with a MixAmp for online console play.
For the rest of the review, visit G Style Magazine.