10tons today announced that their open-world action RPG, DYSMANTLE, is finally available in final form on STEAM and GOG. In DYSMANTLE, survive in a post-apocalyptic world by breaking stuff, lots of stuff. Also, by fighting off the occasional infected creature.
Breaking stuff (aka. ruining everything) is just one aspect of the game though. The game is categorized as an open-world action RPG, which means it also has regular RPG elements such as fighting, leveling up, crafting better gear, and so forth. A few parts of the game structure and exploration were inspired by games like Zelda Breath of the Wild and Dark Souls. The game can be challenging if you go to an area you’re not supposed to be at, but we’re not targeting Dark Souls difficulty with this game. What’s more essential is making your progress feel great and meaningful.
In addition to all that, we decided to throw in all sorts of auxiliary activities such as hunting, fishing, and farming to make sure the player has always something different to progress at. If you’re getting tired of beating the vile creatures (or maybe they are too hard to beat for you), you can plant a few seeds and go fishing which will also provide you experience and better gear (through the materials you get). This in turn will help you beat the monsters more easily. There are also different kinds of puzzles to be solved. One of the recurring sights you see on the island is the ancient tombs of the old ones (ruins below the ruins of the modern world). Raiding those tombs will reward you with very exotic and powerful materials with magic-like properties.
DYSMANTLE is built using the latest iteration of 10tons game technology. We had to make some extensive changes to the 3D engine that previously powered Tesla vs Lovecraft. DYSMANTLE is an open-world game, which basically means we have to be able to stream one huge map based on where the player is at, is looking at, and is expected to go next. There are no loading screens shown when you move around in the game world (unless you enter an underground dungeon which is technically a new map). All that needs to be done without dropping frames (maintaining a steady framerate) even on our lowest targeted devices.
- Break over 99% of all objects for materials with the right tools. Nothing will stop you.
- Fight with (or run away) nasty and vile creatures of the post-apocalyptic era.
- Explore the handcrafted open world and uncover its mysteries.
- Survive. Clear areas of monsters and claim it as yours.
- Build outposts to establish your presence.
- Craft permanent weapons, tools, outfits, and trinkets.
- Hunt dangerous game or tame them for your post-apocalyptic ranch.
- Farm exotic plants and reap the rewards as crop gets ripe.
- Solve puzzles above ground and underground in the Tombs of the Old Ones
- Fish cunning scaly things under the watery surface.
- Cook delicious recipes for permanent stat and ability upgrades.
- Live. Enjoy the bittersweet post-apocalypse.