Hands up if you’ve ever played with Mad Libs as a child? I know I did and I use to buy those every time there was a book fair at my school. For the most part though, many of my words I filled in became variations of poop and pee as I got older. I will say though, when we were playing with them correctly, those Mad Libs stories ended up being really hilarious. Shake-A-Phrase is that type of app that mimics much of what made Mad Libs so fun. From Artgig Studios, Shake-A-Phrase is a word app that randomizes words into hilariously short sentences.
Since this app is for kids, Shake-A-Phrase is very simple to use. As soon as it starts up, you choose 1 of 3 modes, Shake It, Story Teller, and Quiz Me mode. Shake It just generates random sentences each time you shake your device. For the most part, you will never get the same sentence twice. An example of one of the sentences generated would be “The awful lizard haunted the goofy and amused wren.” The great thing about this app however is you can click on almost any word on there, as long as it’s a noun, verb, or adjective and it will tell you the meaning of that word. In Story Starter mode, the app randomly generates story ideas that children can use, for instance “What if there was a perfect toad in Canada…” The last mode is Quiz Me which is actually very good and teaches kids the different types of word forms there are and test them on how to identify prepsitions, conjunctions, nouns, verbs, and adjectives. These can actually be pretty difficult but they certainly do help with being able to identify them after going through it a few times.
I really like Shake-A-Phrase. It’s a fun take on the traditional Mad Libs and it’s also very educational. I love how there are definitions for many of the words used and the included quiz mode which makes learning word types into a game. This is great for young children in school and is good practice for them, while keeping things fun.
Shake-a-Phrase is a fun language app for creative writing prompts, vocabulary, and parts of speech practice. Perfect for learning and laughing in the classroom or on-the-go, it features over 2,000 words and definitions in 5 engaging themes for ages 8+.
3 WAYS TO SHAKE UP LANGUAGE LEARNING
• SHAKE IT: creates a new random sentence every time you shake – great for discovering new words. Not sure what a word means? Just tap for definitions!
• STORY STARTER: shake up the beginning of a story and let your imagination take over.
• QUIZ ME: test your skills with adjectives, verbs, nouns, prepositions and conjunctions. Tap on the right words to get points and gain levels.
The addictive language fun in Shake-a-Phrase will encourage children to:
• Read the silly, entertaining sentences
• Discover the meanings of unfamiliar words
• Create their own writing projects
• Test their knowledge of verbs, adjectives, nouns, prepositions and conjunctions
• Share language arts fun with friends and family
– 2,000+ age-appropriate vocabulary words, compiled by teachers and parents
– Designed for iPhone and iPad – a universal app
– Story Starter prompts suitable for classroom projects
– 5 colorful, inspiring content themes: Sports, Animals, Fairytale, Monsters and Starter
– Customizable Quiz game tests your knowledge of nouns, adjectives, verbs, prepositions and conjunctions, in any combination you select
– Correct and incorrect answers are easy to see
– Correct quiz answers are rewarded with an audible ping and bonus icons as the levels increase – no penalty for wrong answers
– Save the most hilarious sentences to your Faves library
– Email, SMS, or tweet your favorite wacky sentences to your friends
MADE BY EDUCATIONAL GAME DESIGNERS
The game designers at Artgig Apps come from a background of educational software development and we put lots of TLC into every detail of each app we crete to ensure a fun and engaging learning experience. We include kids, parents and teachers in our app development and testing to make sure our apps are exceptional tools that kids want to use again and again.
[via App Store]