In case you’re wondering, yes, I do have a BlackBerry Z10 if you couldn’t tell from all the BlackBerry posts lately. There isn’t much in the App World that I haven’t seen before on iOS, but once in a while, I find something new that I haven’t played. Stick Tennis by Stick Sports is one of those games. Doing a quick search for it in iTunes, I do see that it is out for iOS, I just have never seen it. That’s one of the drawbacks from having such a huge library of apps. Sometimes you miss little games like this. Anyways, Stick Tennis is a simple, yet challenging tennis game with simple controls that will make anyone a tennis pro.
Let’s start out with the graphics. The backgrounds and court details are really good. They look pretty realistic, but do have a bit of that pixel art look to them. It’s not too drastic though. As for the tennis players, although from the title you may assume that the characters would be stick figures, this isn’t really the case. In fact, they are just really skinny (haha) but they do have more detail to them then just your basic stick figures. Their motions are very fluid and fast, so fast in fact that you really need to be on your toes when you play Stick Tennis as the action really gets fast and furious here.
Gameplay and the really simple controls however is what makes this game really shine. You see, the game only requires some tapping and swiping. This makes things easy which is great considering how fast this game gets. You have very little time to react so making the control scheme as simple and intuitive as possible makes for a more enjoyable game.
There are 4 different modes of play, Casual Sets Tennis Club, World Domination, Daily Challenge, and The Slams. Casual Sets Tennis Club is mainly for practicing your game and this one you can play as much as you want. The other modes only give you a taste and you will end up having to unlock the other levels via in-app purchasing.
Stick Tennis is a fun little game. If you have a Z10, you owe it to yourself to at least try it out. It’s one of the few games on here that is good and satisfying. It also helps that this is probably one of the funnest tennis games I’ve played in a while that actually feels like tennis.
Anyone for tennis?
Easy to play yet difficult to master, Stick Tennis offers fast and fluid gameplay with realistic court surfaces and a huge range of unique player styles and characteristics.
With just a simple one-fingered swipe you’ll soon be thumping crosscourt winners, yet at the core of Stick Tennis is a highly sophisticated physics engine that rewards tactical play.
Take on the all-time greats in World Domination, steer your favorite player to Slam success or try your hand at the Daily Challenge on one of ten courts from around the globe.
New balls please!
* WORLD DOMINATION (Levels 1-4): Start your quest for World Domination by taking on four of the greats from yesteryear.
* DAILY CHALLENGE: One match, one chance! A new challenge match is served up each and every day. See how you stack up in the worldwide rankings.
* CASUAL SETS TENNIS CLUB: Improve your game at the Casual Sets Tennis Club. Enjoy a hitout with the likes of Martina Shankitova as the Prac-O-Meter helps improve your timing.
Available in-app purchases:
* WORLD DOMINATION (All 32 levels): Can you beat them all? Do battle with 32 tennis legends – both male and female – in the ultimate quest to dominate the world.
* THE SLAMS (first round free): Pick your favorite seed and go for glory in the Australia Slam 2013, or buy the Slam Pack for advanced access to all four 2013 Slams! Every match is an exhilarating do-or-die clash – do you have what it takes to become a Slam champion?
* RACKET UPGRADES: Give yourself the edge on court by kitting out your kit bag with the latest and greatest in racket technology, designed to boost your power and accuracy.
[via App World]