Dumb Ways to Die is a game that I noticed at the top of the App Store charts and thought it looked interesting. I wasn’t aware however that it had an accompanying Youtube video that seemed to be quite popular with the masses. As you can guess by the name, the game features dumb ways to die. The point of the game is to avoid dying in each of the little mini games and to see how long you can survive. The thing is that the way the game looks and the way things are presented to you, you almost want to die just to watch what happens.
One of the most interesting things about this game is the art style. Dumb Ways to Die is presented in a rather cute and colorful way that seems almost childlike. There are these wonderfully cute characters involved in all the mini games that you don’t want to see die, but when you do, it’s not in a gross or hideous way. It makes death a bit less realistic but it doesn’t take away from the overall message which you would think is not to die stupidly, but there actually is a real message in the game. It’s a surprise though so I won’t spoil it for anyone who hasn’t played or seen the video.
Gameplay is quite varied depending on which mini games they randomly throw at you. Some have you tapping away while other have to dragging objects or blowing into the mic. It’s very fun and the difficulty ramps up the further you get in each session. There are good number of mini games but hopefully they will add more as time goes on.
Overall, Dumb Ways to Die is a rather fun game despite the theme. The mini games are creative, the pacing can get quite hectic, and honestly, the art work is the best part of the entire game. The music is also pretty awesome. As you play, you’ll even be able to unlock a gallery of interesting characters.
As an added bonus, you can download the “Dumb Ways to Die” song over at SoundCloud here. Also check out the video below:
App Store Link: Dumb Ways to Die
Developer: Metro Trains Melbourne
Compatible Devices: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 4.3 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
You’ve seen the video – now the lives of those adorably dumb characters are in your hands!
Download the FREE game now to protect private parts from piranhas, wipe up vomit, feed rattlesnakes, and most importantly – be safe around trains.
Brought to you by the creators of the original viral sensation, Dumb Ways to Die is a frantic action game that expands on scenes from the video. Tap, swipe, tilt and blow through one minigame after another and save as many characters as you can.
– Why is his hair on fire? Who cares, just RUN!
– Quickly wipe your screen free of puke
– Balance that wobbling glue eater
– Flick the piranhas out of range of those precious private parts
– Swat wasps before it’s too late
– Best not invite that psycho killer inside
– Carefully remove forks from toasters
– Help self-taught pilots
– Get back from the edge of the platform you fools
– Have patience at level crossings
– No crossing the tracks! Not even for balloons!
– And who knew rattlesnakes were so picky about mustard?
– Perfect your dumb-death prevention skills to unlock the full set of characters for your train station
– Earn your own local copy of the original video
– Compete against friends and highly skilled strangers on the Game Center leaderboard
Watch the original Webby award-winning video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw
[via App Store]