You’ve probably noticed more PlayStation 4 related posts lately and that mainly has to do with the fact that I have one now and also the fact that a lot of indie developers seem to be embracing the PlayStation platform, whether it be PS3, PS4, or PS Vita. In fact, I would say that there are a ton of indie games Sony has pushed lately that I would have never even thought of playing if I had not seen it on the PlayStation Store. Case in point is that of Contrast and RESOGUN on the PS4. Continuing that trend is Basement Crawl by Bloober Team.
Basement Crawl is a mash-up of strategy, action and skill that harkens back to the days of classic Bomberman while immersing the player in a chillingly macabre setting. It is a multiplayer game filled with unique challenges and imagery. In the game, players will face-off – with up-to-eight players online or up-to-four via local play –in grid-based arenas as they race to set diabolical traps and explosives in order to hinder or defeat their enemies.
- An Engagingly Unnerving Style: a ghoulish but entertaining presentation inspired by classic grindhouse movies, twisted horror films and even other games, such as Manhunt.
- Classic Gameplay with a Modern Twist: brings together the best gameplay elements of classic titles like Bomberman with modern technology and online features.
- Multiplayer: players can battle to be the best against others either locally for up-to-four competitors or online for up-to-eight contenders.
- An Awesome Party Game: easy-to-learn gameplay and a focus on multiplayer fun makes Basement Crawl the perfect house-party fragfest.
- Classes and Characters: the game features four unpredictable and macabre characters, each representing a unique class, and each sporting special abilities and skills.
- “2.5D?”: Basement Crawl is made with a 3D-engine, but presented in classic 2D, allowing players to control the position of the camera while enjoying dynamic lights and effects.
- Arenas: nine uniquely hair-raising arenas are included for players to master and conquer, including the Slaughterhouse, Restaurant Dungeon, Abandoned Circus and more.
- Online Features Include: Leaderboards for comparing highest scores with friends and other players; Party chat for PS4, Trophies, Invites, Ranks.
Basement Crawl isn’t out yet and may not come out until 2014, but the game certainly looks promising and hopefully, we’ll be able to get a hands-on go at it when it does.