Who among you remembers the classic Gameboy with it’s greenish/gray screen? I had one as a kid and had a lot of fond memories of it. It was one of the first portable video game devices I ever had and it served me well on all our long family trips. That brings me to Nitrome’s 8bit Doves. The only reason I even looked at the game was because of its Gameboy-ish visual style and was relieved later to find that the game itself is actually pretty decent as well.
Gameplay in 8bit Doves is kind of similar to Flappy Birds, though this is 100x’s better. Tap left or right to change the direction of your character, who is always flying in an arch. You have to guide him through a rather short, yet difficult level while collecting doves. If you check out the video below, you can see just how difficult it is. The main reason is because your character doesn’t go straight. He’s constantly moving in a curve so you’ll find yourself hitting the walls, a lot.
Unlike Flappy Birds, this game is actually good. The levels are very well made and this is a game that you can actually get better at and isn’t left up to randomness. Not only that, the visual style of the game is really good. I love the old 8bit Gameboy look here and with matching audio track.
8bit Doves is a game I would seriously check out if you want to revisit that old 8bit Gameboy style. It’s a challenging game that doesn’t depend on randomness and instead actually requires skill and practice.
iTunes Link: 8bit Doves
Version Reviewed: 1.2.1
Compatible Devices: (Universal App) Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Trapped in a VR world powered by an ancient handheld device, you are forced to endlessly dream in a pixel world of just 4 colours! Doves have taken roost in your prison and though you don’t know it they are the key to your survival. The Doves subconsciously inspire dreams of flight, so take to the skies through the mazes of your imagination and find the exit.
Intuitive two button gameplay is all you need to steer your way through the sky. Fly through each stage and reach the exit. Get doves to follow you for extra bonus bragging rights on Game Center and Social Networking stuff. If walls aren’t enough challenge you may enjoy the variety of traps that get rapidly added including, moving walls, speed boost zones, growing walls and more!
By the team that brought you the award winning mobile hit Icebreaker: A Viking Voyage.
• Expanded from the hit #Nitromejam game!
• 3 level packs each with a different dream theme! (Sweet Dreams, Deep Sleep & Nightmare).
• A unique world realised in 4 Colours! (Great for that Game boy nostalgia fix)
• Don’t worry parents this game contains no In app purchases!
• Stunning Pixel Art from the award winning Nitrome studio!
• Simple two button gameplay, perfect for a touch screen!
Important Message for Parents
This game may include:
– Direct links to social networking websites that are intended for an audience over the age of 13.
– Direct links to the internet that can take players away from the game with the potential to browse any web page.
– Cross promotion of Nitrome products.