There are those of you who are patiently awaiting the arrival of We Happy Few, by Compulsion Games. Ever since the first trailer for We Happy Few debuted several months back, interest in the game as been building. This is mainly due to its strange, dark themes. It’s a procedurally generated game that has you trying to escape the city of Wellington Wells without drawing attention to yourself.
While the game isn’t set for a release any time soon, some fans will be able to play a very early Pre-Alpha build by supporting the game on Kickstarter. You’ll have to pony up $60 though, but that includes the pre-alpha build of the game, the final, DRM free version of the game, the official soundtrack, and a special art book.
For more information about We Happy Few and the Kickstarted link, check out the official press release below.
Compulsion Games has just kicked off its crowdfunding initiative for We Happy Few, a procedural game about paranoia and suspicion. In We Happy Few, just about everyone but the player is high on a drug called Joy, and they’re not fond of Downers. Avoid attracting too much attention to yourself, and you may find a way to escape the eerie city of Wellington Wells.
Joining the fun is as easy as it gets: Pledges CAD $60 / $60 US and above get you access to an early build of the game. Make sure you head on over to the Kickstarter page and examine the full scope of exciting rewards and stretch goals—they’re bound to make you smile like a proper chemmed up Wellie!
We Happy Few Livestream
Tune into Compulsion’s Twitch channel at 12:30 p.m. Eastern to have the developers play the game for your viewing pleasure. There will also be giveaways and other surprises during the stream, so don’t miss out!
About We Happy Few
We Happy Few is the tale of a plucky bunch of slightly terrible people trying to escape from a lifetime of cheerful delusion. Set in a drug-fuelled, retro-futuristic city in an alternative history 1964 England, you’ll have to blend in with its other citizens, who don’t take kindly to people who don’t abide by their not-so-normal rules.
Progressing through the game unlocks new playable Downers. The protagonists’ stories all weave into one another, and as you piece together the narrative, you’ll come to understand how these characters are dealing with the ghosts of their past.
- A procedurally generated world: Each time you die or beat the game, your next adventure through Wellington Wells will be different. Forget about relying on the city’s layout to escape!
- A sophisticated suspicion system: The inhabitants of Wellington Wells expect you to behave in very specific ways—if they suspect you’re not taking your Joy, they’ll quickly identify you as a Downer.
- Frenzied combat: Downers aren’t very popular in Wellington Wells. In fact, Wellies tend to get a bit violent whenever one walks by.
- Twisted survival mechanics: In this urban setting, avoiding the Wellies’ fury often means hiding in plain sight.
- An elaborate crafting system: Salvage supplies and Joy-tainted food to stay alive, but be careful not to overdose!