I just recently beat every single story based mission in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. That includes both secret missions 45 & 46. For those who don’t know, missions 45 and 46 require certain conditions to unlock them for play. There are tons of tutorials online on how to unlock mission 45 but mission 46 is a bit more tricky. This is a mission that a lot of people seemed to have trouble unlocking, including myself. Below is what I did to unlock mission 46.
- Make sure you beat all story related missions. The tutorials say that you don’t need to beat mission 45 or missions 47-50 to unlock them, but I did anyways.
- Complete all side quests marked in yellow. These are also story related side quests so they must be completed.
- You must listen to ever single cassette tape marked in yellow. I’m not sure if you can fast forward through them or just listen to a portion of them, but I actually sat there and listened to them all the way through.
- Your Mother Base should be completely upgraded. Some say you don’t need it to be but mine was completely upgraded to level 4 on each platform.
- This might be a coincidence, but for me, missions 46 unlocked after I removed Quiet’s butterfly emblem and after I completed a random side quest. This was after completing steps 1-4 and not having mission 46 unlock right away.
You will want to complete missions 46 as it answers a ton of questions surrounding the game and fills in a lot of the holes. I won’t mention any of it because there are huge spoilers in mission 46. There are those who did not like the ending to the game but I thought it was pretty good and confirmed some of my suspicions I had early on.
Anyways, that’s how I unlocked mission 46. Not sure if this will work for you, but it worked for me.