Czech indie dev Dreadlocks has partnered up with indie publisher BadLand Games and will be releasing their cyberpunk themed, 2D side-scrolling RPG, Dex on PlayStation 4 this July 8th. The game will feature a female protagonist named Dex and her quest for Singularity – a theoretical “event horizon” in which artificial intelligence will surpass human intelligence.
This is a very story driven RPG that will have Dex questioning her existence and only you will be able to determine how the story ends.
- Rare mix of realism and creative vision: Realistic action, mature storyline, and complex character interactions mixed with hand-drawn characters, animations, locations, arcade-style melee combat, and an original conception of cyberspace.
- Multiple solutions to problems: Operate in cyberspace or everyday reality. Overcome obstacles using skills, weapons, or special equipment.
- Meaningful character progression choices: Will you be a silent assassin, a hacker, or a straightforward gunfighter? Improve your character and gear to unlock game-changing upgrades that reinforce and customize your play style.
- Unique hacking mechanic: Transfer your consciousness to your avatar, overcome intrusion countermeasures, take action, and return back to your body in a fraction of a second to see the results: deactivated turrets, overloaded devices, enemies with crippled implants…
- Neo-cyberpunk: Inspired by the cyberpunk novels of William Gibson and other classical cyberpunk authors — flavored with a contemporary concept of augmented reality.
- Rich game world and mindful level design: Visit diverse locations in Harbor Prime, a futuristic city complete with luxurious skyscrapers, rundown shanty towns, and seedy red light districts. Take part in street brawls, steal corporate data, overcome environmental hazards, and (of course!) try to stay alive.
- Full voice acting: Interactive dialogue using hand-drawn sprite animations — fully voice-acted by professional voiceover artists.
Dex will be available on both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on July 8th. There will also be a physical release on PlayStation 4 in select territories. PlayStation Vita and Wii U versions are expected later this year.