One of the few games I remember spending my parents’ hard earn quarters on at the arcade was Galaga. There was just something about the game that got me hooked and even now as an adult, I’ll still give it a whirl for old times sake when I see it somewhere. Now there’s another way to play Galaga on the small screen and that’s with Bandai Namco’s newest game, Galaga Wars. Galaga Wars is a modern interpretation of the original game, but with a free-to-play model in place.
Galaga Wars is very much like classic Galaga. Pilot a ship through space while shooting waves and waves of alien ships to oblivion. Many of these insect like ships bear a striking resemblance to their classic counterparts, just modernized. The game also seems much faster in pace than the classic game, though gameplay remains similar.
The only thing really different about Galaga Wars is that since this is a free-to-play game, there are several optional things that require coins that you earn in game, either by playing the game, watching ads, or outright using real money. Coins can be used for continues and ship upgrades. However if you don’t want to spend coins for continues, you can watch ads instead.
For better ships, you’ll have to use real money sadly to unlock these.
Galaga Wars is a pretty good interpretation of the classic game. I like that the controls only consist of dragging your ship around the screen which makes playing the game super easy. The game itself is also pretty fun, though there are a couple of things that are a little annoying about it. Mainly the fact that other ships can’t be unlocked unless you use real money. Other than that, not a bad game at all.
A galaxy on the brink of destruction. Infinite waves of alien enemies. One heroic ship.
You know what to do. Fire up the engines, power up the laser chambers as the iconic space-faring shooter returns for its 35th Anniversary in a shower of laser blasts, breathless barrel-rolls and smoking missiles.
The survival of the universe is once more at stake. They have an alien motherfeet of immense proportions, endless waves of ships bristling with high-tech weaponry and of course the sheer power of the boss Galaga…
You have your finger – a device capable of channelling years of arcade skill,honed sci-fi ability and steely determination into a single, ultimate weapon…
– The authentic retro, sci-fi experience returns for Galaga’s 35th Anniversary
– Weave through endless waves of original enemies, including the Bee, Butterfly, Scorpion and a many more.
– Evade the treacherous tractor beam of Mother Galaga in battle against the huge alien boss!
– Play as Galaga fighter, as well as other legendary Namco starships including Xevious, Galaxian, Star Blade and many more.
– Double your firepower by rescuing captured friends ships and merging into twin mode
– Enhance your space-faring abilities by upgrading and levelling up your craft.
– Blast through alien waves with 4 unique abilities per ship including laser, explosive shot, space mines, ghost shield and more.