One of the most chill games out there was Alto’s Adventure. This was a relaxing snowboarding type game that had you sliding down endless mountains and hills while avoiding obstacles and huge gaps to see how far you could get before wiping. The gameplay was solid and the graphics were amazing and beautiful. With that said, the developers are back with a follow up called Alto’s Odyssey that delivers more of everything you loved about the first and a few new gameplay mechanics thrown in.
As with the previous game, Alto’s Odyssey is gorgeous. The art is slick and fluid and I really love the fact that it’s not static either. The environment actually changes with day and night cycles as well as weather changes. I don’t really remember if the previous had weather effects, but it’s pretty amazing looking here. Other than that, it still retains that classic Alto look which you’ll recognize instantly.
In terms of gameplay, it’s also very familiar to anyone who’s played the series. You still snowboard and tap the screen to jump over rocks and gaps. If you hold your tap, you can make Alto rotate to perform spin move, but if you don’t land it, it’ll end your run. There are new mechanics in this game that weren’t in the last and they add to the challenge. There are now these tornadoes or wind gusts and if you time your jumps right, they can shoot you up into the air. There are also hot air balloons you can bounce on now to help clear huge gaps, though it’ll take a lot of practice get the timing right on those jumps.
There are still level challenges included, which is a nice addition to what is mainly just an endless runner. There are also in game items you can purchase using coins you gain that can be used to boost your character.
Over all, Alto’s Odyssey is the perfect followup to Alto’s Adventure. It’s a nice progression of the series that keeps everything you loved about the first game with new mechanics to freshen up the series a bit. Note however that currently, Alto’s Aodyssey is only available for the iPhone and iPad. There are plans to release on Android but that won’t be for a bit. We’ll let you know when it does.
Just beyond the horizon sits a majestic desert, vast and unexplored.
Join Alto and his friends and set off on an endless sandboarding journey to discover its secrets.
Soar above windswept dunes, traverse thrilling canyons, and explore long-hidden temples in a fantastical place far from home.
Along the way, you’ll grind across vines, bounce atop hot air balloons, ride towering rock walls, and escape mischievous lemurs – all while uncovering the desert’s many mysteries.
• A standalone experience. Alto’s Odyssey is the follow-up to the critically acclaimed Alto’s Adventure, but you don’t need to have played one to enjoy the other.
• Easy to learn, difficult to master. At the heart of the Alto series is an elegant one-touch trick system. Chain together combos, and complete 180 goals — all with intuitive controls.
• Explore Biomes. From the dunes, to the canyons, to the temples, explore a rich and diverse landscape, with each area boasting unique visuals and gameplay.
• Newfound heights. Discover secrets in the sky with hot-air balloons, moving grind rails, and wall riding.
• Master the elements. In addition to dynamic lighting and weather effects like sandstorms and shooting stars, the desert is home to swirling wind vortexes and rushing water.
• Meet Alto and friends. Unlock six unique characters, each with their own attributes and abilities.
• Zen Mode. Complete with its own serene soundtrack, this relaxing mode distills Odyssey down to its purest elements: no scores, no coins, and no power-ups. Just you and the endless desert.
• Photo Mode. From the pause screen, get behind the lens and take stunning photos of your trip through the desert. Pinch, swipe, pan and zoom to frame the ideal shot, and share them with friends and family.
• Original music and handcrafted audio. Headphones recommended!
• Universal app with iCloud support. Play on your iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV, and your progress will always be in sync.
Alto’s Odyssey is a premium game with no ads or in-app purchases. Purchase once, play forever.