I’ve been on a FPS kick this week mainly due to the fact that I’m testing out a new phone and trying to play some hardware intensive games on it. That and the fact that Android users are still waiting on Fortnite to hit so also trying out a few competitive multiplayer games to hold us over. The latest is Hero Hunters by Hothead Games and there’s much to like about this one. This game not only offers competitive PvP play, but also a solo campaign, co-op missions, boss raids, and tons of different heroes to unlock and level up.
The meat of Hero Hunters is the solo campaign and PvP mode. You’ll want to however make your way to the campaign mode first as it’ll be a great starting point to learning how to play as well as unlocking new heroes to use. Hero Hunter isn’t a FPS however and is instead a third-person shooter that makes use of a cover system.
Mainly your hero heads to cover, enemies appear using cover as well, and then you move out of cover when you want to engage. It’s this mechanic that you’ll need to keep in mind when you play because if you don’t constantly go back to cover, you’ll learn soon enough that your hero will not survive the onslaught or enemies. Also, once you have a team put together, you’ll be able to switch between heroes on the fly so keep that in mind too when battling. Know your heroes’ strengths and weaknesses and you’ll have a much better chance of coming out of each fight with each of your heroes alive.
Once you’ve mastered the mechanics, you can try your hand at PvP. PvP is very similar to what you do in campaign mode except that your actually playing against a real live player who is also commanding their own team. It’s pretty random so sometime you’ll be up against someone who is evenly matched and other times you’re up against someone who is way under-powered or overpowered. My suggestion is to just keep all your heroes leveled up as much as possible and really get the mechanics of the game down.
In terms of presentation, everything here is pretty slick. The game looks graphically good and I would say almost good enough to be a regular console game. Character designs are top notch and there are lots of really interesting looking heroes. Audio in the game is also pretty well done, though as my son mentioned to me, many of the sounds sound like they come from other Hothead Games.
Overall, I’m really digging Hero Hunters. It’s a solid third-person shooter and I appreciate the fact that it isn’t entirely a multiplayer online game. I like that there’s a solo campaign and the fact that there’s an obvious goal for you to work towards – the unlocking of new heroes. Most of the game can be played for free without the need for in-app purchases, although they really try to get you to do it. From my experience so far though, you gain enough credits and gold to make due without it. With that said, Hero Hunters is a fun game with much to like with plenty to do to keep you invested.
Google Play Store: Hero Hunters
Apple App Store: Hero Hunters
Developer: Hothead Games
Build a Powerful Team of Heroes! Play the #1 RPG Shooting Game!
Recruit 50+ Legendary Heroes to go hunting with!
Join friends in epic Co-op Missions and compete world-wide in Real-time Online PvP survival battles.
The most incredible free team-based battle royale.
The World’s Survival depends on you – crush anyone who stands under the Kurtz Army emblem!
Participate in Daily Events, Gauntlet Mode and Boss Raids!
Take charge by shooting and switching between heroes, or use auto-play for idle gameplay!
Gear up for the best third person shooter game on mobile!
JOIN THE HUNT
• Cover-based, third person shooter experience with amazing console-like graphics
• Quickly swap between Heroes during battle in real-time, team-based combat
• Modern and futuristic weaponry makes playing each hero a distinct experience; fire sniper rifles and energy guns
• Deploy jaw-dropping special abilities that can quickly turn the tide of battle.
• Hone your skills by controlling your heroes or play idle when on the move.
COMMAND YOUR HEROES
• Collect exclusive heroes, each with their own legendary weapons and special abilities.
• Assemble the right team to take on the enemy. Mix up your roster to find the perfect combination – keep your tanks and healers on overwatch while your assassins and assault classes take down the enemy.
• Play as your favorite hero and dynamically switch between heroes at any time during gameplay.
• Plunder loot after each battle, level up your heroes, upgrade your abilities and perfect your loadout.
• Immerse yourself in the single-player campaign as you fight against raiders, bandits and worse in a post-apocalyptic cityscape.
• The battle is never over. Watch your hero squad dominate the battlefield.
REAL-TIME PvP TACTICAL BATTLE MODE
• Challenge your skills against other players in real-time multiplayer action-packed tactical PvP combat
• Craft a tactical squad of up to 5 heroes and dominate the leaderboards and leagues
• Join forces with your friends to build an unstoppable military alliance
• Beat your rivals in intense time-based event competitions focused on both solo and strategic group play.
• Become one of the highest ranked lords of PvP!