Wizard’s Castle HD is a match and remove game from developers Asgard Studios. This is the iPad 2 only version so if you read the original review for Wizard’s Castle here, most of it applies to this version too. The game itself is straight forward where colored orbs drop from the top and you must match two or more of the same colored orbs in order to have them removed from the play area. You have 3 minutes to try and get the highest score possible without having the orbs fill all the way up to the top. If they do, you lose. These are 10 different levels you can play and each increases in difficulty with different power-ups that can be used.
Now to start things off, Wizard’s Castle HD is a much better game than the iPhone 4 variant of the game. It runs so much smoother than the iPhone 4 version and the larger screen allows for a more hectic game, especially since it seems like it drops more orbs than the regular version. Because the game doesn’t suffer any of the slowdowns, taping the orbs seems a bit more responsive as well and the larger screen area allows for two-finger tapping. I like the screen to fill up with orbs first before I go tapping away.
I like the inclusion of the gem that has the arrows on it which make the walls in the game wide or narrow. This adds another dimension to the game as you can use these to your advantage. They help mix up the playing area a bit and when the walls are narrow, the game seems even more hectic and fun.
As with the regular iPhone 4 version, I’d like to see the inclusion of an endless mode as well as a small tutorial or help screen whenever a new gem is introduced into the game. Hopefully, we’ll also see some new levels with upcoming updates.
Wizard’s Castle HD is a much better experience than the iPhone 4 version of the game. It’s faster, doesn’t experience the occasional graphical slowdowns like the iPhone 4 version, and it contains two extra levels.
***Requirements: iPad 2***
Match and Remove Game for All Ages
Wizard’s Castle HD 1.0 for iPad 2 is a match and remove game for all ages. The player enters the castle to find that the friendly Wizard has cast a spell and colored, magic balls are raining down from the ceiling. The goal of the game is to prevent the room from filling up with balls during each three minute round. Players match and remove balls by touching groups of two or more balls of the same color. While manageable at the lowest levels, the game quickly presents a difficult challenge to both hand-eye coordination and finding a winning strategy. Completing a level unlocks the next. Wizard’s Castle HD features 10 levels of play and Game Center leaderboards and achievements.
In addition to locating groups of still and moving balls of the same color and preventing the room from becoming completely filled, in some levels magic gems also drop from the ceiling.
* Gems with arrows make the magic walls move closer together so the room becomes smaller, or they move the magic walls back so the room is back to normal
* Gems with coins cause the player’s score to go up 10,000 points or down 1,000 points
* Gems with lightening bolts remove all of the magic balls that are the same color as the magic gem
* Gems with floating balls cause many extra balls to drop from the ceiling
* Gems with flames are bombs that destroy many nearby magic balls
* Gems with a stone pattern cause stone balls to drop from the ceiling, which can only be removed by the bomb magic gems
* Gems with the infinity symbol slow down time and make the magic balls drop very slowly from the ceiling
Wizard’s Castle HD is highly re-playable because the colored magic balls always fall differently. Players may earn up to three stars for each level depending on their score, and may replay any level to reach the maximum of three stars. Current Score, High Score, Level, and Time Remaining are continuously displayed at the top of the landscape mode screen.
* Extremely challenging but simple game for players of all ages
* Use up to 10 fingers to touch groups of identically colored magic balls
* Touching groups of two or more balls of the same color removes them
* Prevent the room from filling up with magic balls for a full three minutes to move to the next level
* Magic gems also may fall from the ceiling
* Magic gems can have extraordinary powers that may help or harm players
* Every game is different, as balls fall in a random way from the ceiling
* Requires iPad 2’s dual core, 1 GHz, A5 processor for its advanced physics engine
[via App Store]