Wizard’s Castle is a match and remove game from developers Asgard Studios. The game itself is a pretty straight forward game where colored orbs drop from the top and you must match two or more of the same colored orbs in order to have them removed from the play area. You have 3 minutes to try and get the highest score possible without having the orbs fill all the way up to the top. If they do, you lose. These are 8 different levels you can play and each increases in difficulty with different power-ups that can be used.
The game itself is fairly short. There are only 8 levels to play and each level only lasts for 3 minutes. As a casual game, 3 minutes is actually perfect for the player on the go, but I’d like to see either more levels offered, or the inclusion of an endless mode that should be standard in a game of this type. The gameplay is pretty solid though and enjoyable.
Graphically, there really isn’t much to see. Each level in the game uses the same background image so it never really seems like you’re playing a different level, except for the different power-ups in each.
Even though the game has a few shortcomings, it’s a hard game to put down. Each time I played, I kept trying to beat my highest score as well as trying to get 3 stars on each level. I even tried to unlock all the GameCenter achievements. Because of this, I’m currently ranked #1 on the leaderboards from playing the game so much.
Wizard’s Castle is a addictive, casual puzzle style game. There are a few areas however that I’d like to see some improvements made. For some reason on my iPhone 4, there are times when I do see some noticeable slowdowns, which shouldn’t happen on an iPhone 4. It’s only a version 1.0 game however so I’m sure the developers can still optimize the game a bit. I’d also like to see the addition of a tutorial level or a small instructional screen at the beginning of each level that explains what all the new power-ups do. If you don’t read the description of the game in the App Store first, you might be confused with what the power-ups do. Other than that, the game is pretty enjoyable even with those few issues.
If you have an iPad 2, I would suggest you pick up the iPad version instead as the game runs smoother over there and graphics seems to be a bit better. The gameplay is also a little bit different on the iPad version with the inclusion of an extra power-up as well as two additional levels. The iPad 2 version is also just $0.99.
***Requirements: iPhone 4***
A Match and Remove Game for All Ages
Wizard’s Castle for iPhone 4 is an exciting match and remove game for all ages. The player enters the castle to find that the friendly Wizard has cast a spell and colored, magic balls are raining down from the ceiling. The goal of the game is to prevent the room from filling up with balls during each three minute round. Players match and remove balls by touching groups of two or more balls of the same color. While manageable at the lowest levels, the game quickly presents a difficult challenge to both hand-eye coordination and finding a winning strategy. Completing a level unlocks the next. Wizard’s Castle for iPhone 4 features 8 levels of play and Game Center leaderboards and achievements.
In addition to locating groups of still and moving balls of the same color and preventing the room from becoming completely filled, in some levels magic gems also drop from the ceiling.
* Gems with coins cause the player’s score to go up 10,000 points or down 1,000 points
* Gems with lightening bolts remove all of the magic balls that are the same color as the magic gem
* Gems with floating balls cause many extra balls to drop from the ceiling
* Gems with flames are bombs that destroy many nearby magic balls
* Gems with a stone pattern cause stone balls to drop from the ceiling, which can only be removed by the bomb magic gems
* Gems with the infinity symbol slow down time and make the magic balls drop very slowly from the ceiling
Wizard’s Castle for iPhone 4 is highly re-playable because the colored magic balls always fall differently. Players may earn up to three stars for each level depending on their score, and may replay any level to reach the maximum of three stars. Current Score, High Score, Level, and Time Remaining are continuously displayed at the top of the landscape mode screen.
* Extremely challenging but simple game for players of all ages
* Use up to 10 fingers to touch groups of identically colored magic balls
* Touching groups of two or more balls of the same color removes them
* Prevent the room from filling up with magic balls for a full three minutes to move to the next level
* Magic gems also may fall from the ceiling
* Magic gems can have extraordinary powers that may help or harm players
* Every game is different, as balls fall in a random way from the ceiling
[via App Store]